BraveHearts to Host Equestrian Special Olympics 2016
When: October 22-23 2016
Where: BraveHearts at the Bergmann Centre (4950 Rte. 173, Poplar Grove, IL 61065)
Additional Details such as times, Opening Ceremony and Registration can be found by visiting https://www.soill.org/event/fall-games/
Fun Facts on Special Olympics:
- BraveHearts first held the Equestrian Competition for Special Olympics in 2012.
- Last year more than 100 equestrian athletes from all over the state of Illinois put their riding skills to the test as they competed for gold, silver and bronze medals. Classes included western and English equitation, working trails, showmanship and dressage.
- Nearly 500 spectators attended the event to watch the athletes compete to their fullest potential. BraveHearts' veterans drill team also performed at the event.
- Equestrian provides athletes with the opportunity to develop equine skills, participate in competitions at various levels and gain self-confidence. Independence and communication between horse and rider are the key elements to success in the equestrian competitions.
- Equestrian first became an official sport of Special Olympics in 1987 when it debuted at the World Games. Special Olympics Illinois added equestrian as a sport in 1990.